The Financial Aid Process
The application process Kimball Union Academy partners with School and Student Services (SSS) in our financial aid process. This a common application used for many independent schools. SSS offers resources, customer support and a consistent third-party platform to help assess a family’s estimated contribution towards tuition. To begin your Financial Aid Application, you will complete the Parent Financial Statement (PFS) in SSS.
Please be prepared to spend some time completing the PFS. It is a comprehensive application that asks a wide-range of questions about your family’s financial profile. The application will ask you to provide data from your 2019 taxes, which may not be prepared yet. Please project the 2019 figures (and your 2020 data) as best as possible. Preliminary grants may be granted until 2019 taxes are verified. SSS provides a wide range of materials that can help you navigate the process at: solutionsbysss.com/parents.
How to Complete the Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS)
• If you’re a new family, create your PFS online account. If you received a financial aid grant last year, login to the Family Portal as you’ve done in the past.
• Upload complete 2018 and 2019 tax returns.
• After you’ve pressed submit, you’ll be brought to a payment screen. The fee of $51 is non-refundable. If your family’s financial profile qualifies for a fee waiver, this will be automatically applied by SSS at checkout.
How to Submit Additional Required Documents
• After you submit and pay your PFS, you will have access to a section called “My Documents.”
• Prepare your documents to be uploaded: make certain that different documents are saved as separate files. Remove any security or password protection from your files.
• From your PFS online, go to the “My Documents” tab and follow the instructions to upload.
• Once you’ve uploaded a document, the date will appear in the “Date Uploaded” column. The verification process for tax documents can take up to 48 hours to complete.
• Your financial aid application will not be considered complete until all your required documents have been submitted.
How to Submit Additional Required Documents by Mail
If you wish to submit your required documents by mail instead of upload, send to School and Student Services, PO Box 449, Randolph, MA 02368-0449. For overnight service, use: SSS, Application Processing Center, 15 Dan Road, Suite 102, Canton, MA 02021.
• Our school’s full name: The Kimball Union Academy
• Our school’s SSS code: 4390
• Documents we require you to submit, in addition to the PFS: Finalized copies of your 2018 and 2019 tax returns with ALL schedules, as well as all W2s and 1099s. S-Corp and partnership business owners are required to submit K1 documents. Families with multiple children in tuition charging schools may be asked to provide proof of tuition.
• If parents are divorced/separated, both parents must complete a financial aid application, regardless of custodial arrangements.
• The due date for completing the PFS and submitting additional documents is February 1, 2020. Families may submit 2019 taxes as late as February 8. If 2019 taxes are not received by the deadline, the school will review 2018 taxes and will provide a preliminary financial aid for your family. Final tuition rates will be confirmed after verification of 2019 taxes.
If you need help completing the PFS, contact SSS customer service at (800) 344-8328.