Subscribe to KUA e-mail updates



Take a Virtual Tour

Contact Information

Admission Office
64 Main Street
Meriden, NH

Phone // Fax // E-mail
Phone (603) 469-2100
Fax (603) 469-2041
admission@kua.org

Mailing Address
PO Box 188
Meriden, NH 03770-0188

Physcial Delivery Address

7 Campus Center Drive
Meriden, NH

Keyed Campus Map

 
Wide View of Campus - Original watercolor by KUA Art teacher Julie Haskell

Printable Campus Map

Campus Map Key

List of 32 items.

  • 1. Annie Duncan House c.1830



    This home was purchased by the Academy in 2003 and houses two faculty apartments. It was built c. 1835 by Samuel Duncan who was the treasurer and a trustee at the Academy from 1831 to 1870. His wife and sister were among the first women to attend Kimball Union. Duncan's three sons were also alumni and one son and a grandson served as trustees. His great-granddaughter Annie Duncan lived in the family home until her death in 1961.

  • 2. Meriden Congregational Church 1898



    The Meriden Congregational Church and the Academy have had a close relationship since the founding of the Academy in 1813. We currently hold our Holiday Candlelight Service and Baccalaureate Services here, and members of the church's ministry are frequent participants in Academy events. The Kimball Union community is welcome to attend weekly services.
  • 3. Munro House 1856



    The home of the Head of School and family since 1970, this classic Greek Revival style home features a monumental two-story portico supported by fluted Doric columns. It has commanding view of the campus and is the frequent venue for receptions and other Academy functions.
  • 4. Memorial Gym (1914) and Alumni Gym (1957)



    The small gym in the front, given by Henry Mann Silver, class of 1867, in memory of his brother, was the Academy's first athletic building. It contained a basketball court on the first floor and a bowling alley and locker rooms underneath. It was also used for social gatherings and plays. The attached and larger alumni gym was built over an existing swimming pool and has a stage at one end with locker rooms below. The small gym is now used for athletic practices while the larger gym is home to the basketball teams.
  • 5. Dexter Richards Hall 1936



    This dormitory is the largest one on campus and has traditionally been occupied by boys. It replaced the former Bird Village Inn, a large wooden structure that served as a dormitory and dining hall during the school year, and as an inn in the summer months. With rooms for 52 students, "DR" also has four faculty apartments.
  • 6. Baxter Hall 1892



    The fourth building to be erected on this site, Baxter Hall sits at the crest of the Hilltop. The tower has been an icon of Kimball Union for over 100 years and its bell still summons students to Morning Meeting and other gatherings as it has for generations. Baxter is home to administrative offices and Archives.
  • 7. Bryant Hall 1910



    Bryant Hall is a boys dormitory with single and double rooms for 32 students. It also has four faculty housing units. A gift to the Academy by John D. Bryant, this imposing gambrel roofed, three and one-half story structure is a fine example of Colonial Revival architecture, featuring a portico with a Palladian window and a lunette window on the upper stories.
  • 8. Densmore Hall 1963



    This dormitory has room for 35 students. Although, it has been used in the past as a girls residence, Densmore is currently a boys dorm with four faculty housing units. Densmore Hall was named for Alfred Densmore '04 a long-term former trustee of the Academy.
  • 9. Daniel Kimball Barn circa 1790



    The oldest building in Meriden and formerly Daniel Kimball's sheep barn, this building has served many purposes over the years. Currently it serves as home base for our Facilities and Operations Department.
  • 10. Rowe House 1820



    The head of school's residence until 1970, today Rowe House serves as a small dorm and faculty housing.
  • 11. Library Reading Room



    This light-filled atrium style room is currently the library reading room and houses stacks.
  • 12. Miller Bicentennial Hall 2001 (1968/2010/3013)



    This building was named in honor of and with a bequest from Kimball Union's greatest benefactor, Charles Random Miller, class of 1867, editor of the New York Times. Before the new dining commons was built in 1999, Miller contained the dining hall and the kitchens. Until 2010, the building served as a student center and housed administrative offices, college advising and the learning center.

    In 2010, Miller was completely renovated and repurposed into a state-of-the-art humanities center, which represents Phase 1 of the renovation. It now contains 14 new classrooms fully outfitted with state-of-the-art technology suites including Smart™ Boards, high definition projectors,with audio-recording and video-conferencing capabilities on the horizon. Designed to offer faculty and students access to one another and to ideas, beautifully-appointed rooms include Harkness™-style tables and modular works stations. Tutorial rooms, a multi-media seminar room, a technology lab, and departmental offices offer additional flexibility for small and larger classes and discussion groups. 

    A centerpiece of the facility is the Pacific Culture Room designed by alumnus Eric O’Leary ’67, internationally-recognized ceramist, sculptor, and designer and owner of Tariki Studios in Meriden, NH. The room’s intricate design and unique features celebrate the long tradition of education Kimball Union has had with Korean, Japanese, and more recently Chinese students, families, and alumni.

    In 2013, the remaining portion of the building, the former dining hall, together with a new two-story wing, was transformed into a new state-of-the art library and learning center.
  • 13. Barnes Admissions Building 1925



    The admissions building, originally the Academy library, was a gift of George W. Barnes of Lyme, NH, a loyal friend and trustee of the Academy. This handsome stone Classical Revival building, with its Palladian windows and huge working fireplace, is a favorite gathering spot for visitors and faculty alike. 
  • 14. Bishop Alumni House/Brooks Cottage c.1820



    This historic post and beam Cape Cod style house was purchased in 2003 and is home to the Alumni and Development offices. It was named for Stephen and Joan Bishop who were faculty members at the Academy for 37 years. The attached ell, "Brooks Cottage" houses the Business Office.
  • 15. Elizabeth Dorr Coffin Building 1980



    Dedicated in 1980 by David L. '44 and Dexter D. '41 Coffin in memory of their mother, the Elizabeth Dorr Coffin building is a three and a half story facility located on the hillside with a view of the Flickinger Arts Center and the Doe Dining Commons. Formerly KUA's library, today it serves the school community's innovation center and "maker space" and is home to KUA's STEM Team.
  • 16. Fitch Science Building 1964



    Named in honor of Dr. Emery Fitch, class of 1899, trustee and school physician, this was the last building to be constructed in a ten year building plan for the 1950s and '60s. It consists of two floors of science and math classrooms and the Hayes Auditorium named for Joseph D. Hayes III '67. In 1998 extensive renovations were made to the classrooms and the E. E. Just Environmental Center was added to the existing building.
  • 17. E.E. Just Environmental Center 1998



    This state-of-the-art wing of the Fitch Science Building houses the Environmental Sciences classroom, a greenhouse, a conference room and a faculty office. This addition was named in honor of E. E. Just, class of 1903, a well-known marine biologist and professor at Howard University and in Europe until his death in 1941. He was honored posthumously in 1996 by the U.S. Post Office with a Black Heritage stamp in his honor.
  • 18. Flickinger Arts Center 1988



    This beautiful arts center houses our theatre, a dance studio, The Taylor Gallery, a dark room, two visual arts studios, music rooms and a pottery studio. The building was a gift from the Flickinger family who have been associated with the Academy for over sixty years. Tom '50, a former trustee, and his brother Bill '55, and son Geoff '77, a current trustee, all attended Kimball Union.
  • 19. Health Center/Tracy House 1961



    Originally built to replace Tracy Cottage, the first school infirmary, Tracy House Health Center also contains a faculty residence.
  • 20. Huse House 1850



    Bought in the early 1950s, this house serves as faculty housing.
  • 21. U. S. Post Office and Communications Department



    This building houses the US Post Office and the Kimball Union Communications Department.
  • 22. Mikula Hall (1985)/Hazelton House (1825)



    This building, named in honor of former headmaster Tom Mikula, is the newest dormitory on campus. It has two floors containing rooms for 20 students and a faculty apartment. It is attached by way of a lounge to Hazleton House in the front.
  • 23. Doe Dining Commons 1999



    Named in honor of Charles Doe '45, this beautiful, light-filled building with its exposed beams and clerestory windows, sits on the east side of the KUA Quad. It also houses the Coffin Meeting room and adjoins the Barrette Campus Center, the Academy's most recent building.
  • 24. Barrette Campus Center 2008 (dedicated 2012)



    Completed in 2008 and dedicated in 2012, the Barrette Campus Center features a beautiful "Great Room" with cathedral ceiling and panoramic views of the surrounding mountains which serves as student lounge and venue for student activities, dances, and performances. The hub of the KUA campus, the facility also houses a video lounge, school store, day student lockers and changing areas, and student life offices.
  • 25. Whittemore Athletic Center (1988)



    Home to many Kimball Union athletes, the athletic center's main feature is the Akerstrom Arena, named in honor of long-time faculty member and football, hockey and lacrosse coach George Akerstrom. During the months the ice is out, artificial turf is laid down so that spring and fall sports teams can practice indoors during inclement weather. The Athletic Director's office, the Trainer's rooms and the equipment room are on the upper level across from the seating area. There are locker rooms on the bottom level along with the Zamboni room There are two lounge areas. One is next to the rink and named for Kisuk Cheung '49 and the other is in the entrance way. The building was given by Frederick B. Whittemore '49.
  • 26. The Barn - Fieldhouse



    Built in 2011, The Barn houses a state-of-the-art turf playing field where sports team practice during inclement weather.
  • 27. Welch House 1835



    This house has been reconfigured many times over the years as faculty housing apartments. The Academy bought it in the late 40s. Currently, one faculty family lives in the front of the house and the back is used as a small dormitory for nine students.
  • 28. Chellis Hall 1835



    The front of this dormitory has been used for faculty housing since the late 1930s when the Academy purchased the home. The attached building contains dormitory rooms for 25 students. In 1994 an extension to that section was completed for further faculty housing and for two student lounge areas.
  • 29. Kilton House 1830



    Purchased in June 1937, this fine example of Federal architecture has served as faculty housing and as a dormitory for many years, and currently houses 14 boarders and one faculty family. The dormitory section is dedicated to the Henry and Barbara Douglass who were faculty members at the Academy for over 30 years.
  • 30. MacLeay House



    Built in 2008 in honor of Gardiner and Kay MacLeay, long-time Meriden post masters and Village Store owners, this house currently house faculty apartments and the residence of Mrs. MacLeay.
  • 31. Jones House 1840



    Purchased by the Academy in 1997, this building had previously been owned and renovated by former faculty members, Parker, '37, and Kay Jones . It currently has two faculty housing apartments.
  • 32. 1813 House c. 1800



    Originally built as a center-chimney cape c. 1800, this house currently serves as the home of the Assistant Head of School.

Directions to KUA

Please note that if you are traveling on 89 (north or south), a GPS might send you on a scenic route, but we suggest that you take exit 16 for Methodist Hill Rd for the fastest and easiest route.

The Barnes Admissions building street address is 64 Main Street, Meriden, NH

BY CAR:
FROM HARTFORD, NEW YORK CITY:
I-91 (north) to Vermont exit 8. Bear right off the interstate. At second set of lights, turn left onto New Hampshire Route 12A (north). Stay on 12A for 12.1 miles - turn right onto Stage Road. Stay on Stage Road until it intersects Route 120 (6.1 miles). Turn left onto Route 120 (north). Kimball Union (Meriden) is less than a mile on the left. Turn left at the blinking light and proceed up the hill to the first right (before the stone church) Chellis Road. Please park in the spots immediately on your left, and then proceed on foot back down Main Street to the second building on your left - the grey stone Barnes Admissions building.

FROM BOSTON, PROVIDENCE:
1-93 (north) to 1-89 (north). 1-89 to exit 18 (Lebanon/Hanover - Dartmouth College). Left off the exit onto Route 120 S into Lebanon. Follow 120 part way around the Green, bearing right to continue south on Route 120 - 8 miles to Meriden. Turn right at the blinking light and proceed up the hill to the first right (before the stone church) Chellis Road. Please park in the spots immediately on your left, and then  proceed on foot back down Main Street to the second building on your left - the grey stone Barnes Admissions building.

FROM THE NORTH:
1-89 (south) to exit 20. Turn right onto Route 12A. Follow 12A West Lebanon past the shopping district and up a hill. You will pass a gravel manufacturing company on the left and shortly after, see a sign for Kimball Union Academy (on the right), directing you to take a left on True’s Brook Road. Follow this road for about 8 miles where it turns into Main Street in Plainfield/Meriden. Take a left immediately after the large stone church and park in one of the spots on your immediate left and then proceed on foot back down Main Street to the second building on your left - the grey stone Barnes Admissions building.

BY PLANE:
Kimball Union is in convenient proximity to several major airports. Manchester Airport in New Hampshire and Burlington International Airport in Vermont are each 1 hour and 30 minutes from campus. Bradley International Airport in Hartford, Connecticut and Boston's Logan International Airport are each just over two hours from campus. Lebanon, New Hampshire has a small planes airport providing several daily shuttle flights and is only 20 minutes away.

BY TRAIN:
Amtrak stops in White River Junction, VT, on its Montrealer line. The Montrealer runs between Washington, DC, Union Station, and Montreal. The train makes a number of stops including New York's Penn Station, New Haven, CT, Hartford, CT, and White River Junction, VT. Taxi service is available at the station which is a 20 minute ride from campus.

Driving Times

From:

Boston, MA:
2 hrs. 15 min.

Hartford, CT: 
2 hrs. 45 min.

New Haven, CT:
3 hrs. 45 min.

New York City:
5 hrs.

Providence, RI:
3 hrs. 30 min.

Springfield, MA:
2 hrs. 15min.

Burlington, VT:
1 hr. 30min.

Montreal, Canada:
3 hrs.

Lodging Options

The Hanover Inn at Dartmouth College
Two East   Wheelock Street
Hanover, NH
(603) 643-4300 or Toll Free: (800)443-7024
www.hanoverinn.com

Courtyard by Marriott
10 Morgan Drive
Lebanon, NH 03766
(603) 643-5600
http://www.courtyard-hanoverlebanon.com/
Preferred rates available - mention KUA when making reservations.

Marriot Residence Inn
32 Centerra Parkway
Lebanon, NH 03766
(603) 643-4511
Toll Free (800) 331-3131
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/LEBRI
Preferred rates available - mention KUA when making reservations.

Element by Westin
25 Foothill Street
Lebanon, NH 03766
603-448-5000
www.elementhanoverlebanon.com
Preferred rates available – mention KUA when making reservations or use set number 458382 when booking online.

Six South Street
 
6 South Street,
Hanover, NH 
(603) 643-0600
http://www.sixsouth.com
Preferred rates available - mention KUA when making reservations. 
 
The Common Man
21 Water Street
Claremont, NH
(603) 542-0647
 
The Woodstock Inn & Resort
Fourteen The Green
Woodstock, VT 05091
(800) 448-7900
(802) 457-1100
 
Baymont Inn and Suites West Lebanon
45 Airport Road 
West Lebanon, NH 03784
(603) 298-8888
www.baymontinns.com
 
Burkehaven Lodge
Sunapee, NH
(800) 567-2788
 
Enfield Shaker Museum
447 NH Route 4A
Enfield, NH 03748
(603) 632-4346
 
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott
102 Ballardvale Drive
White River Junction, Vermont 05001
(802) 291-9911

Fireside Inn
West Lebanon, NH
 
The Gibson House
341 Dartmouth College Highway
Haverhill, NH 03745
(603) 989-3125
 
The Hampton Inn
104 Ballardvale Drive
White River Junction, Vermont 05001
(802) 296-2800
 
Holiday Inn White River Junction
White River Junction, VT
(888) 465-4329
www.hiexpress.com 
  
Shaker Hill Bed and Breakfast
259 Shaker Hill Road
Enfield, NH
(603) 632-4519
Reservations: (877) 516-1370
 
The Trumbull House Bed & Breakfast
Hanover, NH 03755
(800) 651-5141
(603) 643-2370

 
 

  

Kimball Union Academy  |  Meriden, New Hampshire 03770   p: 603-469-2000  |   f: 603-469-2040  |   info@kua.org
Founded in 1813, Kimball Union Academy is one of the oldest private boarding high schools in New Hampshire and the country. KUA offers the best of the traditional New England Boarding School experience to a diverse group of day and boarding students from across the country and around the world. Located in Meriden, New Hampshire in the heart of the Upper Valley, Kimball Union is minutes from Dartmouth College and has direct access to Boston and New York. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy