Frequently Asked Questions

List of 10 frequently asked questions.

  • What do I need to fill out?

    In order to standardize the process of evaluating each applicant’s need, Kimball Union uses a third party called School and Student Services for Financial Aid (SSS). Much of the financial aid application is processed directly through this company. 

    A complete financial aid application consists of the following documents:

    * Parent Financial Statement (PFS) which is sent directly to School and Student Services (SSS) in Princeton, New Jersey. All contributing members of the family must fill out this form.
    * Federal Income Tax Returns (all pages and schedules) for any living guardians or contributors 
    * W-2/Schedule C/K1 forms
    * Business/Farm Statement, if you own a business or farm.
  • When do I need to have completed these forms?

    PFS (each parent/guardian):
    • Returning Families 1/18
    • Prospective Families 2/1
    Tax Returns (each parent/guardian):
    • February 15th
    Other Required Documents 2/15
    • Wage Earners: W2s
    • Self-Employed/Sole Proprietors: Schedule Cs 
    • S-Corporations: K-1s (1120s if applicable)
  • What if my taxes for the current year will not be filed until after the deadline?

    We understand current year taxes might not be filed by the deadline. We will use the prior year tax return and your PFS to make estimates until your current year's taxes are complete. No applications will be processed without a prior year 1040. We will move forward with the awarding process with estimated data, but it should be understood that no award is considered final until we are in receipt of all required documents: 1040s and all supporting schedules. 
  • Is there a separate application for non-custodial parents?

    We require that non-custodial parents complete an additional PFS. It is our expecation that both the custodial and non-custodial parents will provide financial support to aid in the cost of a Kimball Union education.
  • Can I email or submit hard copies of my tax returns and supporting documents?

    No, due to security reasons and identity theft, Kimball Union will not directly accept any tax documents. The SSS website is the most secure way to submit your documents. Please upload all documents directly to their website.
  • What if I need more aid?

    A family’s share of the cost of a Kimball Union education is determined through a careful consideration of income, expenses, assets, debts, the number of family members, and the number of children attending tuition charging schools. In every situation, we do our best to meet the needs of your family. We do have limited funds, making it impossible to completely meet the needs of every family who applies for aid. We encourage you to consider other forms of assistance if you do not qualify or you are dissatisfied with the award. You may ask for reconsideration of your aid package only if there is new information that you need to share with the financial aid office. Please contact the Director of Financial Aid with any requests.
  • What if I do not need financial assistance for the first year, but will need aid for subsequent years?

    In almost all circumstances, students who are accepted without financial aid do not receive financial aid during their career at Kimball Union Academy. If a family anticipates the need for financial aid at any time during a student's career, they should apply for financial aid as a part of the admission process.
  • Do I have to reapply for aid each year that my child is enrolled?

    Yes. Since family situations change, we do ask that you complete an application for Need-Based Financial Aid each year that your child is at Kimball Union. Merit Awards are renewed annually, assuming a student remains in good standing with The Academy.
  • What else do I need to know?

    It is important to note that the admissions and financial aid applications are separate processes. It is our policy to waitlist students for admission if we cannot offer them a financial aid award.

    If an accepted student’s performance in school drops substantially after acceptance and prior to matriculation, the admissions office reserves the right to revoke some or all of the financial support provided by Kimball Union.


Kimball Union Academy  |  Meriden, New Hampshire 03770   p: 603-469-2000  |   f: 603-469-2040  |
Founded in 1813, Kimball Union Academy is one of the oldest private boarding high schools in New Hampshire and the country. KUA offers the best of the traditional New England Boarding School experience to a diverse group of day and boarding students from across the country and around the world. Located in Meriden, New Hampshire in the heart of the Upper Valley, Kimball Union is minutes from Dartmouth College and has direct access to Boston and New York. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy