Academic Fees and Expenses
Fees and expenses at independent schools are similar in many respects to those found at the college level. Most fees are optional, although some are required. The following information is provided to assist families in estimating the expenses they might incur in addition to the tuition provided previously.
Academic Fees 2016-2017
- Effective for the 2015-16 school year, KUA included the cost of text books for Five Core courses and the 1-to-1 Laptop Program in the base tuition rates for all but a small number of students. The Academy will directly purchase textbooks for each student and has streamlined its fee structure with the goal of simplifying its processes and improving the students’ experience. Separate fees for books and laptop technology will only by charged to students who are eligible for tuition remission or prior year entry set tuition rates.
- An additional fee of $150 will be charged for each class added during the add/drop period, regardless of total number of classes
- An additional fee of $150 will be charged for each student adding a sixth course
- All ninth through eleventh grade students are required to own an iPad. The iPads should be purchased by each student’s family before the start of school if the student does not already own one.
Academic Support Services 2016-17
A variety of optional academic support services are offered in both one-on-one and small group environments. Our offerings include:
- Academic Subject Tutorial - $75.00 per hour
- Structured Study Tutorial - $3,550 per year
- Comprehensive Tutorial - $8,400 per year
- English Language Tutorial - $3,850 per year
- English Language Learning Seminar - $8,900 per year
Athletic Fees 2016-17
All students participating in KUA’s athletic programs are required to purchase a travel sweat suit ($190).
There are fees for off-campus sports activities such as skiing, golf and equestrian programs. These fees are developed on a seasonal basis.
Dormitory Fee 2016-17
KUA requires a $100 room deposit by each boarding student. This deposit will be refunded at the end of the school year if the student returns his/her room key and if the room has no serious damage.
Health Services 2016-17
All families are required to carry health insurance that will provide adequate care at a local medical facility in the event that their child becomes ill or injured. Parents who have such insurance must provide the coverage information to our Health Center. If a family does not have such insurance, they must acquire acceptable coverage. KUA has developed a relationship with an insurance firm that provides group coverage to International and other students whose insurance will not cover them while at KUA. Premium amount $1,740.
KUA provides a car and driver to bring student to the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and to other local health care providers. The fee is $25.00 per student per trip.
Miscellaneous Expenses 2016-17
With our diverse student body the travel expenses of our students vary considerably. You will need to develop an estimate of frequency and cost of travel by your student and other family members.
Non-local travel opportunities, for example a day trip to Boston, will include a small fee, based on destination.
Student are required to maintain an Escrow Account balance of $300 to provide resources for miscellaneous academic and athletic purchases.
The process of evaluating a candidate admission to Kimball Union Academy is independent of a family’s ability to afford the investment required to send their child to KUA. Kimball Union Academy is firmly committed to helping families find ways to bridge their income and other financial resources to provide their child with a KUA education. Such aid comes in the form of four basic forms: tuition payment options (discussed previously), loan programs, merit-based aid and need-based aid. Since the amount of aid KUA can provide to students is limited, the academic potential and the unique contributions a student can bring to KUA’s community become considerations in the allocation of our precious aid resources.